Title: The Rulebook
Author: Jennifer Blackwood
Release Date: May 9th 2016
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Page Count: 290
Starr Media Second-Assistant Survival Guide
1. Don’t call your hot boss the antichrist to his face.
2. Don’t stare at hot boss’s, um, package or his full sleeve of tattoos. (No. Really. Stop!)
3. Don’t get on the malicious first assistant’s bad side.
4. Don’t forget to memorize the 300-page employee manual.
5. If you value your cashmere, steer clear of boss’s dog.
6. Boss’s dimples are lust-inducing. Do. Not. Give. In.
7. “The elevator ate your clothes” is not a valid excuse for showing up to important meetings half dressed.
8. Don’t break seven of the rules within the first week of employment if you, ya know, are in dire need of money to support your sick mom.
9. Whatever you do, don’t fall for the boss. See rule eight about sick mom.
10. Never forget the rules.
This book was just meh. It started off on a high note and it was really funny. But once it reached the middle it started lagging. I feel like the ending was really rushed and I didn’t really feel the relationship between the characters. I can’t really elaborate more without getting into details but it was an OK read. I’m tempted to check out the next book when it comes out but it’s not super high on my TBR.
As one of those romantic comedies there are really only two important characters.
Lainey: She was really funny and I really did like her character. There were so many cringy moments, especially those of the second-hand embarrassment kind, but it did add to the overall humor of the book.
Brogan: I don’t really know what to say about him, but he wasn’t my favorite person. He was so stuck in his ways and really self-absorbed (kind off) that he always thought of himself first rather than Lainey. (not a really attractive trait) I was hoping that would change as the story went on, but sadly that didn’t happen.
There is not really much else to say. Have you read this book? What were your thoughts about it?